The Study

To be able to devote time to the academic study of country houses is a real pleasure so, if you have the opportunity, below is a list of known courses offered by UK institutions.

Page last updated: May 2022

If you know of, or teach, any others please do let me know and I’ll add them to the list. 


University of Buckingham
– ‘Country House Studies


University of Buckingham
– ‘Country House Studies by Research‘ (assessed / non-assessed) – evening classes, based in London
– ‘Decorative Arts and Historic Interiors

University of York
– ‘English Building History (online)‘ (3 years, part-time)

MA – module (available as part of non-country house specific course)

University of Cambridge – Department of Architecture
– ‘Building History‘ with optional module ‘The country house and its landscape

University of East Anglia
– ‘Landscape History‘ (or part-time)

University of Edinburgh / Edinburgh College of Art
– ‘The Scottish Country House in the Long Eighteenth Century‘ (ARHI11002)

Undergraduate degree

University of Buckingham
– ‘History of Art and Heritage Management (2-year degree)

BA – module (available as part of non-country house specific course)

Bangor University
– ‘Country House Life, 1750-1914‘ (HSH-3041 / compulsory course as part of a wide range of degrees)

Manchester Metropolitan University
– ‘History‘ with optional modules on ‘Building the country house, 1600-1900’ and ‘The country house in context’

University of Derby
– ‘British Country Houses and their Families‘ (offered as part History degree)

University of Edinburgh / Edinburgh College of Art
– ‘The Scottish Country House: Class, Gender and Politics‘ (ARHI10044 / offered as an option for a number of courses)

University of Leeds
– ‘The English Country House: A Social History‘ (LISS1002 /

University of Leicester
‘The English Country House and its Landscapes
– ‘The Country House in Literature

University of Warwick
– ‘The English Country House: fictions and histories (EN396 / final year students only) (offered as part of English and Comparative Literary Studies)

University of the West of England
– ‘The Country House in British Fiction 1910-1960‘ (offered as part of English)

University of York
– ‘The English Country House, 1550-1900 (HOA00057I)‘ (offered within History of Art degree)


University of Cambridge, Institute of Continuing Education
– ‘Undergraduate Diploma in History of Art: British Visual Culture‘ (1-year, online)


No known courses

Other qualifications/non-accredited/short courses

Attingham Trust for the Study of Historic Houses and Collections
– Summer School
– ‘From College Library to Country House‘ (5-day course)

Sheffield University
– ‘Literature of the English Country House‘ (multiple start dates)

University of Oxford, Department for Continuing Education
– ‘Country Houses‘ (one-week residential)
The Culture of the English Country House (Online) (3-month duration, multiple start dates)

Archive of courses no longer offered

Birkbeck, University of London
– ‘History of Art’ with optional module ‘The Country House Experience’ (ARVC252S7)

Manchester Metropolitan University
– ‘Rethinking the country house garden, 1750-1850: Creation and consumption’

Nottingham Trent University
– ‘English Country House: History, Heritage and Symbolism’ (two-week summer school)

University of Aberdeen
– ‘The Country House in England and Scotland’ (HA3536 / offered as part of History of Art)

University of Cambridge
– ‘Historic Environment’ – MSt

University of Cambridge, Institute of Continuing Education
– ‘Undergraduate Diploma in Historic Building Conservation’ (1-year, online)

University of East Anglia – Sainsbury Institute for Art
– ‘At Close Quarters: The English Country House and its Collections’
‘History with Landscape Archaeology’

– Year 3 – ‘Landscape Special Study’

University of Exeter
– ‘The English Country House: History, Architecture and Landscape’ (Summer 2017)

University of Hull
– ‘Certificate in Country House Studies’

University of Leeds
‘History of Art with Museum Studies’
– ‘Museum and Country House Studies 1: The English Country House’
– ‘Museum and Country House Studies 2: Introduction to Museum Studies’

University of Leicester – Centre for the Study of the Country House
– ‘The Country House in Art, History and Literature’ – campus-based
– ‘The Country House’ – distance learning

University of Oxford, Department for Continuing Education
– ‘Upstairs, Downstairs in the English Country House’ (July 2017)

University of Warwick
– ‘From Fortress to Country House’ (offered as part of History of Art degree)

University of York
– ‘British Country House’

Leicester Vaughan College
– ‘Resonances and Representations: Aspects of The English Country House’ (starts 30th November 2020 –  10-week online evening course | future dates TBC)

8 thoughts on “The Study

  1. Sassy Countess September 15, 2012 / 15:41

    Cambridge offers an MSt in Historic Environment. It is mostly online. Here is what the site says…

    What will I be studying?

    The MSt provides a systematic understanding of:
    •principles and policy governing historic environment protection and planning
    •the management, practicalities, and main issues involved in monument protection
    •the conservation and restoration of historic landscapes
    •academic theory, concept, and current research
    •training in research techniques in the historic environment and their application

    You will also have the opportunity to undertake self-directed original research, under the direction of a University of Cambridge supervisor.

    By the way, I would like to share your information on my site.

  2. Matthew Beckett - The Country Seat September 15, 2012 / 18:05

    Thanks – I’ve now added it to the list. Please do make others aware of this list as I’d like it to be as comprehensive as possible. To save you having to keep checking for changes, it may be easier for you to just link back to this page (and I’d be grateful for a link to it anyway if you do mention it).

    Thanks again


  3. Roberta 'Bobby' Anderson September 16, 2012 / 22:00

    MA on Jane Austen and the Country House in the West Country or something like that being written as we speak – at Bath Spa University.

    • Matthew Beckett - The Country Seat September 17, 2012 / 12:37

      Thanks Roberta – I’ll keep an eye out for that one; it’s an interesting angle for study. If you do see any details in the future please do let me know.


  4. Nicola Cousins July 23, 2019 / 10:46

    Hull university dont do the country house studies course anymore

    • Matthew Beckett - The Country Seat October 7, 2019 / 15:47

      Thanks Nicola – I’ve struck it out rather than delete it just in case someone was looking for it.

  5. Liz Lowry November 12, 2019 / 15:40

    Sadly, Leicester are no longer offering their campus based MA.

    • Matthew Beckett - The Country Seat June 15, 2020 / 12:16

      Thanks Liz – I’ve now refreshed the list. Seems there’s been a significant decline in the number of course on country houses being offered.

Leave a Reply to Matthew Beckett - The Country Seat Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.