Shaw House was built in 1581 for Thomas Dolman, a local cloth maker, whose family lived in the house for six generations until 1728. It was subsequently the country retreat of the Duke of Chandos, before being being home to the Andrews and Farquhar families until it eventually requisitioned for use by troops in WWII, before it then became a school.
The £6m project rescued the house from disuse and neglect after it ceased to be a school in 1985. As part of the project, inappropriate modern additions to the house were removed, and repairs made using traditional materials. The house is now open for visitors and events giving new life to this beautiful house.